The Queens Arms - 'Ghostly soldier's
This public Inn is a very odd looking pub to the passer by who is unaware of the history that lies behind it.
The side of the pub looks older than the front, this is noticed straight away. With its black and white timbered structure and old small windows this part of the building looks like it is from a totally different date than the rest of the pub . The reason for this is very simple, the building was originally three separate buildings, the back end of the building was a separate pub called the Punch Bowl. The front part was The Queens Arms and next door to this pub was a very small one room fruiterer's shop.
Records show that in 1858 a WM. Smith was landlord of The Queens Arms and a J. Bullen was landlord of the Punch Bowl. The Queens Arms however offers more than an arm length of history and a pint to it's visitor. The pub is also haunted and has quite a few ghost stories.
The most known and most heard about story is when Roman soldiers were apparently seen marching through the pub and ghostly activity occurs in the cellar . At one time the cellar under the pub used to stretch all the way under to where Barclays bank now stands, this area by the bank was where on of the City's gates were stood, hence the dip on one of the pavements near this spot.